In yet another revelation of urban renewal misdeeds, word comes from Nampa that members of the local Urban Renewal Agency Board not only don’t live in the city, they don’t even live in Canyon County.
The GUARDIAN has long been an opponent of urban renewal districts because they have no oversight by ANY government agency. While URA boards have no taxing authority, the tax revenues on improvements and appreciated value within a district are diverted away from schools, city, county, and other taxing units.
Citizens have no voice in these agencies and now we learn mayors can appoint anyone to determine the future of their cities while ignoring the will of the people if they choose to do so.
Here is a breakdown of the Nampa URA membership:
* Martin Thorne, Nampa, retired (serves on Nampa City Council)
* Pam White, Nampa, retired (serves on Nampa City Council)
* Jennifer Deroin, Meridian, Intermountain Community Bank
* Len Williams, Eagle, Home Federal Bank
* Ron Van Auker, Meridian, Van Auker Companies
* Rodney Moore, Nampa, retired
To insure more advertising-free Boise Guardian news, please consider financial support.