Boise coppers have been evicted from their substation at 1025 S.Capitol Blvd. across from Boise State University due to hazardous mold and probable asbestos contamination.
The former motel and restaurant is owned by the City of Boise and has been used for low cost housing for years. Police moved in after the new apartments were built in the Lusk neighborhood bringing in several thousand college students.
The exit move took place recently after officers suspected mold was present. A contractor was hired to evaluate the concerns and came back with a report indicating mold was present.
Chief William Bones moved his troops out to temporary quarters for another downtown presence. Officers have been provided with health information as part of the move.
One observer told the GUARDIAN, “frankly, the place is filthy!” When we talked to residents of the adjacent public housing apartments of the same vintage and people working in the same structure formerly occupied by coppers, they were all unaware of any mold or asbestos concerns.
The apartment residents said their quarters had not been inspected and they were puzzled at the sudden departure of the police at the complex.
To insure more advertising-free Boise Guardian news, please consider financial support.